Game & Simulation 2D Graphic Development
This course is the third in this series and is focused on students acquiring skills to create, refine, and integrate realistic 2D graphics into a game or simulation product. Students will essentially learn how to use a graphic software package, file maintenance strategies, and migration techniques and issues.
The content includes market research, product design documentation, storyboarding, proposal development, and presentation of a project report. Emphasis is placed on the techniques needed to develop well-documented, structured game or simulation programs. Extensive use is made of evaluating and analyzing existing games or simulations.
Hands-on activities using entry-level game development tools such as YoYo Games Game Maker, MineCraft, the 3D GameMaker, and Adobe Flash CS5 will be integrated into the curriculum. The culminating activity is the creation and presentation of a playable game with design documentation. Students completing this course are eligible to take the Adobe Certified Associate Exam depending on their level of accomplishment.
- Current events via technology education magazines and technology websites
- Adobe Flash CS5, YoYo Games GameMaker 8.1, The 3D GameMaker
- Hands-on introductory experience with game testing, design, and development
- Simulated real-world technology projects that are aligned with State standards
- Engineer’s Notebook:
You are expected to provide and keep an Engineer’s notebook. For this class, we are using a composition book with graph lined pages. The book can be purchased at Office Depot for approximately $2. If you prefer an artwork portfolio it is acceptable.
- 2” Binder:
You must provide a 2”- 3 ring binder that will accept 3 hole punch paper to keep in class for all printed material you receive in class.
- Pen and #2 pencils
- 4 GB Flash Drive(optional but very useful)
- Earbud(optional but very useful)(only 1 ear may be covered/plugged)
Grading Policy: Pursuant to the District’s new grading policy formative assessments will be worth 40% of your quarterly grade, and summative assessments will be 60% of your quarterly grade. County Grading Scale: A (90-100), B (80-89), C (70-79), D (60-69), I (working towards proficiency) and F (below 60). I simplify by dropping 1 digit so A(9-10), B(8), C(7), D(6),F(5)
Be polite, be prompt, be prepared, and be productive. As a student at University HS you are expected to follow all school rules. If UHS rules are broken, consequences will follow. I will communicate directly with you in the event of a situation; reoccurrence, I call home; happens again, discipline referral.
School Announcements - No matter what is going on in class, it must be quiet for these announcements.
No food or drinks are allowed to be consumed during class. No gum chewing is allowed on the UHS campus.
Absences – It is your responsibility to obtain the work you missed in the event of an absence. Check with me on the day you return to school to get your make-up work. If you know you will be absent in advance, ask for your work before you go. Make-up work must be turned in the same time allotment as the original assignment.
Factors for Success
We will maximize our opportunities for success by agreeing to the following:
- If you do not understand something, let me know by raising a hand, writing a note, sending an e-mail or making a phone call.
- You are ultimately responsible for your own learning. I cannot make you do anything if you really do not want to do it. It is up to YOU.
- Come to class prepared to learn. This includes paper, pencil, notebook, a willing attitude, etc. I want you to be successful.
Please read complete syllabus using the links below
Lesson Plans 2014-2015
- Quarter 3-Week 10.pdf (399.2 KBs)
- Quarter 3-Week 10.pdf (399.2 KBs)
- Quarter 3-Week 8.pdf (264.0 KBs)
- Quarter 3-Week 6 & 7.pdf (266.8 KBs)
- Writing about children and video games.docx (15.0 KBs)
- Chapter 6 Rubric.pdf (105.3 KBs)
- Quarter 3-Week 4 & 5.pdf (282.6 KBs)
- Quarter 3-Week 3.pdf (289.5 KBs)
- Game Vocabulary.pdf (254.9 KBs)
- Quarter 3-Week 2.pdf (360.1 KBs)
- NEWS PAPER ARTICLE.pdf (185.7 KBs)
- Quarter 3-Week 1.pdf (353.6 KBs)
- Week 16.pdf (284.3 KBs)
- Week 13---Adobe Activities.pdf (232.7 KBs)
- Week 12.pdf (378.8 KBs)
- Week 11.pdf (377.1 KBs)
- Week- 10.pdf (134.6 KBs)
- Week- 10.pdf (125.0 KBs)
- Week- 9.pdf (124.5 KBs)
- Quarter 1-Week 8-1.pdf (181.4 KBs)
- Quarter 1-Week 7.pdf (152.0 KBs)
- Week 3 -2014-2015 - Week 3.pdf (346.2 KBs)
- Week 2 -2014-2015 - Chapter I assignment pgs 12.pdf (19.7 KBs)
- Code.org Assignment.pdf (150.8 KBs)